Defining an activated material as Source

I’m new to FLUKA, so thanks in advance for your disposability. I’m dealing with a HLW study, and I wanted to plot some outputs related with the decay of the radio-isotopes contained in it. I’ve already learned that FLUKA, due to the normalization of the result obtained. So actually I want to elaborate only one Isotope of the material per simulation. My question is related to the beam source : my source must be, obviously, a radio-nuclide contained in the HLW material, but I cannot understand if I could simulate directly the decay of all the isotopes of this element, contained in the HLW. Have I necessary to define only a beam from 1 isotope or how I said can I define multiple source (if there’s the possibility) in the material ?
Hope to have soon your responses, Davide.

Dear @davide4.marche,

Welcome on the forum. I’m not sure I understand exactly your question, I have to say that your post is a bit confused. If I understand correctly, you have some activated material containing different radioactive isotopes and you want to simulate its cooling. Your question is if you have to separately simulate the decay of each nuclide (e.g. first Co-60, second Cs-137, etc. etc.) or if you can simulate all at once.
I hope I understood correctly.
Both ways are possible. It’s difficult to say which one is better for you. Depends exactly from what you are starting and what you want achieve precisely. Your Fortran programming skills may also play a role in your decision.

1 Like

Thanks Amario for your answer. I’m sorry for the message, probably I cut a part of it accidentally while writing.
Though, you got the point. What you explained is exactly what I want to do. Due to the fact that I’m dealing with a composition with a lot of radionuclides inside, I’d like to simulate their cooling and behaviour. How can I ‘transform’ the radionuclides themselves into the beams of my simulation? (please sorry for the words I used, was just to be clear).
I want also to add that I’m using flair interface.
(I’m doing this question because both looking in this forum, and searching online, I thought that I could use a beam produced only by a SINGLE type of isotope, in a SINGLE point, which is what actually I wouldn’t like to do).
Thanks for your patience, Davide.

Hi to all the FLUKA users. If someone please could help me with my question it would be a pleasure for me. I tried many different input files on fluka, but no one succeeded. I don’t understand what to do to simulate the decay of my material without any external source.

Dear @davide4.marche,

If you have a complicated source that cannot be adequately described by one of the predefined beam options, you might want to write your own source routine. I recommend you to use the
new generation source routine to write your own source. You’ll have to code in Fortran the details of the source, but it is a very powerful solution.

Instead, if the radionuclide distribution in your geometry is obtained by another Fluka simulation, then you might consider using it directly as a special source. Have a look at the SPECSOUR card in the manual.

1 Like

A post was split to a new topic: RESNUCLEI output: “Empty data set”