Detect: histogram overflow and subsequent crash

Dear FLUKA experts,

I am running a model that involving using DETECT cards. Fluka seems handled it okay and produced the required results even I had the “Detect: Histogram overflow” errors in several previous runs. However, after some tweaking with the energy range of the DETECT cards, I’m also getting the error with code RC= 144 and the simulation simply won’t start. Could anyone point out what I did wrong with my setup? The relevant files are attached.
Dual.inp (4.8 KB)
Dual_01.out (723 Bytes)
Dual_01001.err (8.8 KB)
Dual_01001.out (114.6 KB)
GCR_N.txt (6.4 KB)

Thanks in advance.
Martin

Dear Martin,

thank you for reporting the issue, I can confirm the crash is caused by a bug related to the DETECT scoring. A fix will be implemented in the next release.

A workaround is to increase the maximum energy of the scorings, but this will reduce the resolution of the detector.

The “Detect: Histogram overflow” line in the .err file is only a warning message, indicating that the energy deposition in the detector region was higher than the set energy, thus it was not recorded. The warning message is only repeated 100 times, then it is inhibited.

Cheers,
David

1 Like

Dear Martin,

please update to the newly released FLUKA 4-1.1 version, it contains the fix for this bug.

Cheers,
David

1 Like

Dear David,

Thank you for your time and help.

Martin

Dear @horvathd and other FLUKA experts:

The problem I described in

persists after I updated flair to 3.1-8 and FLUKA to 4-1.1. I would still get the error code RC=144 and the simulation would not run. Maybe there is some other reason?

Thank you for your help.

Martin

Dear Martin,

did you recompile the source routine as well?

Cheers,
David

Dear @horvathd,

Ah that might be the case, I did not recompile the source routine. Could you show me how to do that?

Thanks.

Martin

Dear Martin,

as far as I could tell, you used this source routine to sample from your spectrum:

You probably only need to run the make command again, to create the new executables.

Cheers,
David

Dear @horvathd,

Thank you for your time.

Martin