EMF-CUT problems about what(3)

Dear fluka users,

I am trying to save the computation time by using EMF-CUT card, and an error occurred as follows,

*** Atomic electron contribution to mcs for material 6 (CARBON) set to 0, are you sure? ***
*** if so re-enter it as 1.E-05 and run again, if not check the manual for the ***
*** EMFCUT card, PROD-CUT, what(3), execution stopped meanwhile ***

And related card are as follows:
捕获

This is exactly the same problem as posted inhttp://www.fluka.org/FLUKA/web_archive/earchive/new-fluka-discuss/11755.html Unfortunately, questioner posted no further information.

The production threshold for electrons is 1E-05=10keV, less than 100keV, why the input file can not run normally only if I set what(3)=1.0 This seeem does not conform to the FLUKA mannual about card EMF-CUT what(3).

Any suggestions are appreciated.

Best regards,
Honghu

Dear Honghu,

I understand you get the error message above when you leave WHAT(3) blank in EMFCUT with SDUM=PROD-CUT. Let us know if this is not the case.

The WHAT(3) above is a dimensionless number controlling the fraction of atomic electrons effectively contributing to multiple Coulomb scattering.

As stated in the manual, WHAT(3)=1.0 (all atomic electrons contributing to multiple Coulomb scattering) is appropriate for delta-ray production thresholds of ~100 keV or larger.

Instead, in your case the delta-ray production threshold is 10 keV, so as suggested in the manual you should put a low value of WHAT(3), say 1e-5, otherwise you’d be effectively double counting the contribution of collisions with atomic electrons to the deflection: once via explicit delta-ray production, and again in multiple Coulomb scattering.

There’s no one-size-fits-all rule, but what is suggested in the manual is fair enough: one should linearly interpolate from WHAT(3)=1e-5 (for delta-ray production thresholds in the order a few keV like in your case) to 1.0 (for delta-ray production 100 keV or larger).

Cheers,

Cesc

Dear Cesc,

Yes! I got the error message when leaving WHAT(3) blank in EMF-CUT with SDUM=PROD-CUT.
Thanks for your explanation.

I have one more question: the delta ray (if E<1e-5) will immediately deposit all energy where it was produced if I set WHAT(1)=1e-5 in EMF-CUT with SDUM=PROD-CUT.
Am I right?

Best regards,
Honghu

Hi Honghu,

I have one more question: the delta ray (if E<1e-5) will immediately
deposit all energy where it was produced if I set WHAT(1)=1e-5 in EMF-CUT
with SDUM=PROD-CUT.

More or less. One states that target electrons receiving small energy transfers (which are frequent) would indeed not make it very far, so energy losses below the delta-ray production threshold are not simulated individually. Instead, they are effectively accounted for as a continuous energy loss along every charged particle step in a (non-vacuum) medium.

Cheers,

Cesc

Dear Cesc,

Thanks for your explanation!

Best regards,
Honghu