Limitation in the way the number of primaries are specified

@vasilis @ceruttif

If the number of primaries in the start field of FLAIR (or in the text form of the input) is more than 1000000000 (1e9), FLUKA aborts with the message;

*** The 2th field 0 of the following input card ***
START 10000000000 30.0
*** does not contain a valid formatted fortran real number!!! ***
*** It is ambiguous and it could be read differently on different compilers ***
*** depending whether it defaults or not to the blank=0 formatted input rule ***

If I edit the text input file and provide the number of primaries as 10000000000.0 (1e10) and run with the rfluka command, FLUKA runs normally. I cannot however input the same number in the FLAIR window which does not allow decimal.

Also, I see that the number of primaries cannot be input as the E format (for example 1E6 or 1.0E6) as I get the same message.

Many of my cluster runs are timed and I may have to set the number of primaries to larger than 1e9. It will be useful to have this feature in FLAIR, which is used to create multiple inputs and clones.

S

Dear @sunil,

the problem at hand is that the number of primaries can contain only 10 characters. But I never seen issue where you couldn’t use E format for the primaries directly in the input file or in Flair.

Maybe there is another issue preventing the run. Could you prepare an Flair file where you get the error and attach it to a post?

Cheers,
David

Thanks @sunil
this is a problem using python3 the number is represented as integer filling all the available 10 char space, but without having a dot “.”.
As a consequence fluka is rejecting it as integer not being a floating point.

While for v2 big numbers where converted to float exp notation and where accepted by fluka.

I’ve fixed it you can find it on the temporary version.
In the mean time as correctly suggested by @horvathd you can force a floating point notation 1e10 and it will work.

Hi @sunil this bug among others now is corrected in 3.0-3