Merging different runs?

Hi, I am new to FLUKA. My question: is it possible in Flair to merge the results of different runs? For instance, let us assume that I perform a run with a certain number of cycles and primaries, let’s say 1E5 primaries. Then in the “Run setting page” I clone the previous run, in the cloned one I change the number of primaries - let’s say to 1E6 - and the random seed, and perform this cloned run. At the end will I be able to merge together the two runs, so that in the Plot tab I will see the result of 1.1E6 primaries? Thank you in advance for your help.

Dear @enrico.nic,

Yes, you can merge different runs.

After running them, you can go to the Data tab
Screenshot from 2022-03-15 11-07-06

There, select the runs you want to merge, and press Process.

Note that if you do not have any scorings, there will be no files/detectors showing in the second screenshot.

I am available if you have further questions.

Best,
Daniel

2 Likes

Dear Daniel, thank you for your prompt reply. Is any naming convention needed for the runs in order to make it possible to merge them?

Dear @enrico.nic,

No, you just have to select those you are interested in.

Best,
Daniel

1 Like

Hi again, Daniel. Probably I have not understood how to operate. I get two distinct .bnn files from Data Merging, so that I cannot see a unique .bnn file containing the merging of the two (or more) runs. Am I missing something?

Hello @enrico.nic,

I now better understand your use case. It is nevertheless possible to merge the .bnn files from different runs, albeit via a more cumbersome procedure. For future usages, please note that the correct way would be use the “spawn” feature rather making different runs.

The way to proceed is to add the results of one run to the other, e.g. the second to the first one.

1. If you select both runs from the left side menu, then both detectors will be selected. Deselect until you have only one detector selected.
  1. Now go on top of the Data tab and click the Add button:
    Screenshot from 2022-03-15 16-08-54
  2. A pop-up window should appear prompting you to select which data file to add. By default, it will recognize only those that belong to the run:
  3. Change the Files of type to all fortran files corresponding to the scoring unit you are interested, in your (and my test) case, unit 22. This will allow you to add files from other runs.
  4. Now your Detector should contain the data file from the second run as well.
  5. If you Process your data, it should now contain the results of both runs.

I hope this was detailed enough, but do not hesitate to ask for more instructions, if needed.

Best,
Daniel

1 Like

Thank you very much Daniel for your detailed explanation, I will be able to try that method probably only tomorrow!

Cheers,
Enrico

Just tested… YES! It works. Thank you a lot, Daniel!

Kind regards,
Enrico