Plot error/warning

Dear expert,

In my simulation, during plotting, I am getting this error/warning; however I am able to get the plot. Can you please guide what does this error refer to ??

Regards,
Riya

Dear Riya,
as you may know, Flair interface uses a separate module to plot output graphs “gnuplot”.
Actually, Flair send parameters of the plot and link to the data file to plot using the script you see before the red error massage.
The error you receive means that the argument of the command at the beginning of the script was not recognized. More about this scripting language you can find following the link: Gnuplot 4.2 Tutorial

As I can se from the code you attached, the plot initialization commands are missing:
e.g.
set terminal wxt 0 enhanced title ‘TITLE’
set title ‘TITLE’

So probably, you have some non-allowed symbols in the name, or similar problem.
Anyway, it means that one of commands that should set appearance of your plot was not executed, and this setting has not peen provided.
If these error is crucial for you, please post your *.flair file, so we can find an exact reason of this error.

Kind regards,
Illia

Thank you @illia.zymak for the response. I am attaching the input for your reference. I have not given any name on the axis while plotting. I kept the settings as default while plotting. Is this the reason for the warning ?

1GeVproton.flair (9.5 KB)

Regards,
Riya

Dear Riya,
than you for sending your source files.
Actually, I have no exactly your error message while plotting USRBIN 30 data file.
The only minor issue, that you are plotting it in log scale, with the range minimum value empty, which means 0, so it trying to calculate log 0 value.

My small comment on your attempt to plot USRBIN 33 which is the dose calculated for the region.
There is only one number output, so there is nothing to plot. To get this value just convert it output bin file to the text (ascii) format and open result file to read.

Otherwise, I see no claimed errors.

Best regards,
Illia

Thank you @illia.zymak for the response. I was not plotting usrbin 33, this was for scoring a single value. When I tried to plot usrbin 30, then I got that above mentioned warning. It’s surprising that in your system, there was no such warning.

Regards,
Riya

Dear Riya,
in this case it should be something “machine specific”. E.g. in your local/country setting have different " " symbols or something like this. This error is not often, and appears when gnuplot cannot interpret the nature of the argument of command. That is why I was asking you about any uncommon symbols in the title. Usually, errors are more specific.
It also can be, that you have some custom settings code in the code editing window on the bottom of the screen, but this you can easily check.

What we can conclude, that it is definitely gnuplot scrip error code, and that it is specific for gnplot interpreter installed on your machine. C

Kind regards,
Illia

1 Like

Thank you @illia.zymak for the suggestions. I will definitely check the gnuplot version on the machine.

Regards,
Riya

Dear Riya,
I just to check. What is your main OS, and what version of Linux do you have?
Can you check what is your regional setting?

Illia

Dear @illia.zymak ,

My operating system is Linux and it is Ubuntu 22.04 LTS. I have latest fluka and flair software in this machine. I also checked gnuplot version, but it showed that the latest version is already installed there.

Regards,
Riya

Dear @riya,
a I have the same version of Ubuntu, so this should not make any difference.

Can you please also check you OS culture settings using “locale” command. It should be C.UTF-8 or en-US.UTF-8 by the default. I am wondering if there is no mess with dot-comma ./, or quotes symbols “” due to the different local settings.
Also you may check if some of Flair plot settings make no effect to your output gnuplot. This way you will localize the problem.

Regards,
Illia

Dear @illia.zymak ,

The “locale” command gave the following output. Since the settings are set for “IN” notations, may be this is the reason.
Screenshot from 2022-11-18 16-07-50

Regards,
Riya

Dear @Riya,
you may try to set C.UTF-8 or en_US.UTF-8 locale in your Ubuntu

1. To create on: sudo locale-gen “en_US.UTF-8”

2. to set one default: export LANG=en_US.UTF-8 or sudo dpkg-reconfigure locales (for interface)

Than you have to restart your OS.

Kind regards,
Illia

Thank you @illia.zymak for the help. I will change the settings.

Regards,
Riya

A post was split to a new topic: Warning: empty y range [0;0]

Dear @riya,
I just wondering if you have any progress with the error message?
Dose locale change makes any difference?

Kind regards,
Illia

Hello @illia.zymak ,

I changed my locale defaults but stil I got the same gnuplot warning in all of my fluka output plot. Now the locale command in my sytem gives:
LANG=en_US.UTF-8
LANGUAGE=
LC_CTYPE=“en_US.UTF-8”
LC_NUMERIC=“en_US.UTF-8”
LC_TIME=“en_US.UTF-8”
LC_COLLATE=“en_US.UTF-8”
LC_MONETARY=“en_US.UTF-8”
LC_MESSAGES=“en_US.UTF-8”
LC_PAPER=“en_US.UTF-8”
LC_NAME=“en_US.UTF-8”
LC_ADDRESS=“en_US.UTF-8”
LC_TELEPHONE=“en_US.UTF-8”
LC_MEASUREMENT=“en_US.UTF-8”
LC_IDENTIFICATION=“en_US.UTF-8”
LC_ALL=

and the gnuplot warning/error is same as before:

Regards,
Riya

I guess is because the first command
save plot.png
doesn’t have quotes on the filename.

Dear @vasilis,

This is the plot window in my case. The save plot command is automatically created, I guess. So, I am not sure how to add the quote there. Can you please guide ?

Please note, even if I keep everythink blank as default, this warning is getting generated.

Regards,
Riya

Can you go to the Config/preferences of flair then select the tab “Gnuplot”
maybe you have something there?

Dear @vasilis ,

This is the gnuplot settings in my system. I could see the global command is different. Should I change it to your settings ??

Regards,
Riya