Question on LET spectra

Dear FLUKA experts ,

I tried to use USRYIELD to get the LET spectra with a simple setup in mind. I’m shooting protons at a water block target. I was able to get LET spectra without any problem yet I could not reproduce the simulation anymore. Every time I try to run the simulation I would just get error messages and all the y-value equal to zero. Hopefully someone could help me with this.

The attached is my .inp, .err, .log file.Nominal001.err (23.9 KB) Nominal.out (776 Bytes) Nominal_30_tab.lis (59.6 KB) Nominal_30_sum.lis (106.3 KB) Nominal.inp (1.0 KB)

The following is the error message I get when I try to use flair to process the files:

At line 752 of file usysuw.f
Fortran runtime error: Index ‘2501’ of dimension 1 of array ‘accumg’ above upper bound of 2500

Error termination. Backtrace:
#0 0x7f705743b2ed in ???
#1 0x7f705743bed5 in ???
#2 0x7f705743c2a7 in ???
#3 0x7f7057c0432e in usysuw
at /root/rpmbuild/BUILD/fluka-4/src/tools/usysuw.f:752
#4 0x7f7057c01152 in main
at /root/rpmbuild/BUILD/fluka-4/src/tools/usysuw.f:1407

e> ERROR: cannot access file ‘1g_cm_21.yie’
Maybe the run is still going on?
Error processing: 1g_cm_21.yie
Ended: 2020.07.08 09:55:50

Warning
Possible errors: 1g_cm_21.yie
Correctly processed:
"

Also, my terminal would have these kind of messages that never shown before:
timeit function objListFill = 0.0002494000000297092
timeit function objListFill = 0.0002668000001904147
timeit function objListFill = 0.0006354999932227656

Thank you in advance for your time and help.

Maritn

Hello Martin.

I’m shooting protons

No, you are not :slight_smile: In the input file I see 56Fe as primary particle. The upper LET limit in your USRYIELD is too low, increase it by a factor, say 10, and you’ll see something when processing.

Incidentally, note that your 56Fe ions start with 422 MeV/nmu. I can reproduce the random-number seeds in your Nominal001.err file with the default binary (not containing nucleus-nucleus event generators above 125 MeV/nmu!). Link with ldpmqmd and use the resulting binary.

Cheers,

Cesc

Hi @cesc,

You are right, I was running some simple sanity test first with protons to see that if I can get LET spectra with USRYIELD so I might not waste time later. I totally forgot that I’m doing heavy ion then.

Thank you for your time and help.

Best regards,

Martin

Dear @cesc,

I tried to increase the upper limit by a lot but I still cannot process the results i got from the simulation. And this is the error message I got from the output window.

Error termination. Backtrace:
#0 0x7fd4d8e3b2ed in ???
#1 0x7fd4d8e3bed5 in ???
#2 0x7fd4d8e3c2a7 in ???
#3 0x7fd4d9604644 in usysuw
at /root/rpmbuild/BUILD/fluka-4/src/tools/usysuw.f:532
#4 0x7fd4d9601152 in main
at /root/rpmbuild/BUILD/fluka-4/src/tools/usysuw.f:1407

e> ERROR: cannot access file ‘Nominal_98.yie’
Maybe the run is still going on?
Error processing: Nominal_98.yie
Ended: 2020.07.09 16:14:22

Warning
Possible errors: Nominal_98.yie
Correctly processed:

How could I fix this kind of problem?

Also, could you clarify a little bit on your statement regarding “I can reproduce the random-number seeds in your Nominal001.err file with the default binary (not containing nucleus-nucleus event generators above 125 MeV/nmu!). Link with ldpmqmd and use the resulting binary.” ? My apologies but I think I do not have enough knowledge to understand what does this mean even a bit.

Thank you in advance for your help.

Best,

Martin

Hello Martin,

Taking your submitted Nominal.inp and replacing 50 by 500 in the Max1 field of USRYIELD I do not reproduce your crash. There is however something weird in your output messages: 98 (as you see in your Nominal_98.yie error message) is the unit number for your commented (inactive) USRBIN; the USRYIELD output is written instead to unit 30. So at some point in your attempts something got corrupted. Go to the Data tab, refresh and scan. If all fails, start afresh: flair Nominal.inp

The default binary you get with your FLUKA installation contains the nucleus-nucleus event generator for energies of up to 125 MeV per nucleon. If at some point you need to run a simulation transporting heavy ions at higher energies (like in your accidental case above) the default binary does not suffice: one has to link a new binary including the nucleus-nucleus event generators at higher energies. This can be done either in the terminal with “ldpmqmd” or via Flair (Compile tab -> select ldpmqmd instead of lfluka -> click Build and then in the run tab -> Runs you should load the resulting binary in the “Exe:” field). I had the suspicion you ran without, so I tried without: since the random-number seeds written to my.err matched with your Nominal001.err this was sufficient proof that this was the case, so I raised alarm :slight_smile:

Cesc

Dear @cesc,

Thank you so much for the detailed explanation. I’m going to try it out now!

Martin