Scoring of DOSE-EQ, DOSE and ENERGY for heavy ion interaction

Dear experts,

In a heavy ion interaction simulation (with Li7 beam on Ta target), I have scored DOSE-EQ, DOSE and ENERGY using USRBIN and R-phi-z settings. A DCYSCORE with cooling time = 0 was added for all 3 of them. The dimension of this region is R = 5 cm and H = 10 cm and the medium inside = air.

The dose-eq output at a cooling time of 0 = 4.30E+03 pSv/s

The dose output at the same condition = 1.09E-02 GeV/g per s, which after multiplication by 1.6022E-07, leads to 1.74E+03 pGy/s.

The energy output at the same condition = 2.0860E-14 GeV/cc per s, which will lead to a very small value as compared to above two.

1. Can you please explain the reason of these discrepancies ? I expected the difference between DOSE-EQ and DOSE since the method of estimating these are different and also DOSE-EQ is by definition, equialent dose i.e. absorbed dose x radiation weighting factor and DOSE is by definition, absorbed dose. However, I expected that DOSE and ENERGY scoring will give similar result after proper conversion. It will be helpful if you please correct me.

2. From the .out file, Number of secondaries generated in inelastic interactions per beam particle: 49% is photon and 50% is neutron. Hence, can we infer that the dose observed at different cooling period is due to these particles? But the neutron life time is small. So at different cooling period, the dose is mainly because of the activation of air and hence the gamma emitted from the active air in the room where this R-phi-z geometry is located. In this case, I expected that DOSE-EQ and DOSE would be similar since radiation weighting factor for gamma = 1.

Regards,
Riya

Hi Riya,

Thanks for your question, I’ll try to come back to you as soon as possible with an answer.
In the meantime, would it be possible for you to upload your input file?

Cheers,
Marco

Dear @matisi

Here is the input.

TEST.inp (5.6 KB)

Regards,
Riya

Dear @matisi

I think this is related to uncertainty of the output. After using 5E+9 histories, the DOSE and ENERGY outputs are nearly same (energy = 1.42E-02 GeV/g and dose = 1.53E-02 GeV/g; the relative error is 44% for both these cases, where as dose eq = 4.2296E+03 pSv/s with relative error 2.5 %).

I am sorry for the trouble.

Regards,
Riya