Advise on how to handle the buildup factor for radiation imaging simulations using FLUKA

Hi all,
Just checking if there is any way of turning the buildup factor on and off in FLUKA simulations. Trying to simulate simple radiation imaging using x-ray (PHOTONS) within the energy range of 0.1-15 MeV.

Any advise is highly appreciated.

Best regards,
UC

Dear @uchow,
Can you please explain better what is that you want to do?

1 Like

Hi Amario,
Thanks a lot for responding. I am trying to simulate an x-ray based imaging system. The x-ray source will be a point-source and I am using USRBIN card as the detector. I will put various materials in between, for example copper, steel, tungsten etc. I would like to know how does FLUKA handles the buildup factor in such scenario. Are the photons registered at USRBIN only the source photons or the buildup factor is also considered and hence we have secondary photons registered as well. Any other insights will also be helpful.

Best regards,
UC

Dear @uchow,

In Fluka, whenever a particle undergoes an interaction that can produce secondaries, then these are produced and transported as long as these have energy above the thresholds that the user has set (the card that allows the user to set the thresholds for photons is EMFCUT). If the user did not explicitly set production and transport thresholds, then the default one are applied. Different default settings have different threshold. Have a look at the DEFAULT card to find out which are the default thresholds corresponding to each default.
I hope this answers your question.

1 Like

Hi Amario,
Thanks a lot for your reply. Yes, the DEFAULT card explains all the interactions. EMFCUT card on the other hand, helps reducing processing load by killing some particles from transporting. Excellent!

My next question will be how to put a custom spectrum, but perhaps I should open a new question.

Thanks again for your reply. It was really helpful.

Best regards,
UC

My next question will be how to put a custom spectrum, but perhaps I should open a new question.

Yes, that would be better. It would also simply possible searcher in the forum.

1 Like