Difference between USRBDX and USRTRACK

Since we have observed the impact of USRBDX and USRTRACK, during estimation of equivalent dose using AUXSCORE, Which one should we use (USRBDX or USRTRACK) in the detector region because since flux is different in these estimators, the end result of dose will be different?

Regards,
Riya

Dear @riya,

I think that for dose estimations USRBIN scoring should be used since you are interested in the energy deposition within a volume, while the USRBDX and USRTRACK are track-length estimators.

Mihaela

Hi @Mihaela_Parvu ,

Thank you for the clarification. In cases, when we want fluence in the output so that we can convert it to dose externally (using other software) using conversion factors, should we opt for USRBDX or USRTRACK ?

Regards,
Riya

Hello Riya,

I would use USRTRACK since you are interested in the fluence in a given region. USRBDX scores the particles crossing through a surface.

I hope this helps,
Mihaela

1 Like

Thank you @Mihaela_Parvu

Regards,
Riya

Later edit

But this scores the energies of the particles, not the deposited energy that is needed in order to calculate the dose.

yes true. Earlier I needed to follow that method of using USRTRACK and converting it to dose externally. But now, new FLUKA versions have included many dose conversion factors which is a relief :slight_smile:

Still I got confused due to today’s discussion on difference coming from using USRTRACK and USRBDX. I am sorry for the confusion if I may have created .

Regards,
Riya

1 Like

Just a couple of remarks if they can help for clarity sake.

USRTRACK scores differential fluence (not particle energy) as a function of particle energy. This can be folded with dedicated coefficient sets to retrieve equivalent dose.

USRTRACK and USRBDX are not expected to give the same result, for the reason just recalled above by @Mihaela_Parvu .

2 Likes