Dose calculation based on CT

Dear Experts,
I am trying to calculate dose in human tissue with CT data.I have some questions:
1.A few months ago,I met Problem with voxel.Now i re-create the voxel file with the latest flair version 3.1-5,unfortunately I still have the same problem.Sorry for not replying in time.
2.I’ve read the medical application slides and I am confused about the the content of the input file part.In ASSIGNMA card, i need to assign materials to voxel00x, how do i know the materials in this voxel(bone or others)?
I downloaded some anonymous CT from open source databases and converted them to .vxl,but the result is not very good.If someone can provide some dicom files and .inp file that flair can process for practice, it will help a lot.

Thanks,
Ye

test1.flair (2.0 KB)
To describe my problem more clearly, I uploaded .inp .vxl and CT data
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1nAsR_dzth9Krno4XEwZl8O4ZdzbT6YFo?usp=sharing

Dear Ye,

1. The voxel file indeed seems strange. I tried to recreate it from the attached dicom files, but it seems they are unrelated. The dicom files contain two separate scans with a few slices each.

2. The materials are automatically assigned based on the Hounsfield units. The materials definition are in Flair’s material database. However, the correction factors (body.mat and head.mat) are only provides as an example, since separate calibration needed for different CT machines.

Cheers,
David

Dear @horvathd ,
Thanks for your reply.
I checked the uploaded folder and the CT file did contain two scans.The uploaded .vxl file is converted from the first scan.I re-uploaded an example, where I encountered the same problem.CT and Voxel files – Google Drive
The error code is" Abort called from VXLINP reason UNABLE TO OPEN VOXEL FILE Run stopped! STOP UNABLE TO OPEN VOXEL FILE"
I don’t know if there is a problem with the .vxl or dicom file?I use flair to convert dicom files to voxel file automatically.But it always reports errors when I perform simulation.
Any help will be appreciate!

Thanks,
Ye

Dear Ye,

when I convert the first case dicom files and open the oxel in Flair I get the following geometry:

But, even if I try to run with your voxel file, I can’t reproduce the error.

Which FLUKA version do you have installed?
Can you share the output of the following commands?

cat $(fluka-config --path)/Version.tag | head -n1

flair -h | tail -n1

Cheers,
David

Dear @horvathd
This is the output

Thank you very much for your time and help.
Ye

Dear Ye,

please update your FLUKA installation to the latest 4-1.1 version, and try again.

Cheers,
David

Dear @horvathd

I updated my FLUKA installation to the latest 4-1.1 version, and tried again.Regrettably, I still have the same problem…

Thank you
Ye

Dear Ye,

do you have this problem with the voxel files you shared in this topic, or is it with the one linked in the old topic?

Cheers,
David

Dear @horvathd
The voxel files in both two topic have this problem. The voxel file linked in the old topic is created by old version.But after I use the new version of flair to convert it ,I still have the same problem.
Thank you
Ye

Dear Ye,

could you share all the .out, .log and .err files, as well as if you are able the dicom files for the old voxel geometry.

Cheers,
David

Dear @horvathd
I uploaded the CT file used in the old topic and .out , .log and .err files.
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1EsKnyk7u8EUrOdj-RSH_ueerbiMf6-yZ?usp=sharing

Thank you very much for your time and help
Ye

Dear Ye,

it seems there are two issues.

1. On the VOXEL card, the Filename is limited to only 8 characters, so this means the voxel file should be in the same directory as your FLUKA input. (You may use a symbolic link)

2. The dicom to voxel conversion bug mentioned in your previous topic is unfortunately still there. Now, that you shared the dicom files, it should be easy to fix.

Finally, based on the .out file you shared, you still using FLUKA 4-0.1. Please check your installation.

Cheers,
David

Dear @horvathd

It works.I moved the voxel file to the path of the inp file then simulation is successful.
Thank you
Ye

Dear @horvathd
By the way, I have a question about voxel cards.I don’t know how to determine the xyz coordinates (WHAT(1)(2)(3)).In Medical Application slide,the WHAT(1)is -35.068cm while origin coordinate is -250mm.I think WHAT(1) to WHAT(1)+NX*DX (512 *0.9765) doesn’t include the voxel volume.
Thank you
Ye

Dear Ye,

If you use the “Card” button to add the VOXEL card to your input, then the coordinates (WHAT(1-3)) are automatically set to the coordinates stored in the dicom file.

You are free to change these values, but keep in mind you need to adjust the scorings similarly.

Cheers,
David

A post was split to a new topic: Overlay dose distribution on CT image