Dose from a radioactive source

Hi experts
I am trying to simulate dose equivalent from Co-60 line source doserate.flair (3.2 KB) . I am not able to find out where I am going wrong. Struggling with Raddecay and DCYSCORE and auxscore options. Please guide me.

Thanks in advance

Best regards
Sunil cn

Hi Sunil

Please see see below. I think you should define ISOTOPE instead of PHOTON

Cheers
Stefan

Thank you stefan,
Sorry it was a mistake. I couldnt see it. But still program should run I feel as source was given. Flair was stopping with error code 12.
I am not clear about the three cards RADDECAY DCYSCORE and AUXSCORE. I am using it without understanding it. Could you please explain with an example. I had gone through manual but still not that clear.
Another question. How to place different isotope sources at different locations at the same time?

Thanks in advance

With best regards
Sunil cn

Hi @sunil_cn,

Your input run without a problem for me.

Try to have a look at the slides on radioactivity and the corresponding exercise from here.

Also, I noticed that you are having one cycle only and are not spawning, beware that this might lead to some problem when it comes to estimated the uncertainties on the quantities you are scoring.

1 Like

Dear Sunil,

error code 12 should mean: Out of memory. Can you check for the error messages in the .out, .log and .err files?

Also can you check the output of the command:

free -m

Cheers,
David

1 Like

Thank you amario
I am learning and thanks for experts wonderful support.

Regards
Sunil cn

Hi @sunil_cn

see

on p.23-25 is an example.

Cheers
Stefan

1 Like

Thank you sir
I corrected my input file and its now working. Change I made was only in beam set to Isotope mode and RADDECAY option to semi-analogue mode.

Earlier file is doserate_prevs.flair (3.2 KB) and modified one is doserate.flair (3.4 KB) . The earlier file is working but could not plot dose equivalent. error shown in out put is

I checked the command free -m

total        used        free      shared  buff/cache   available
Mem:           5741        1565        1451         215        2723        3680
Swap:          2047           3        2044

Another question: Dose equivalent is given as pSv/particle. In case of Co-60 two different photons are involved with 100% prob. So should I multiply by 2.

Thanks you for a wonderful support.

With best regards
Sunil cn

Hi @sunil_cn

The correct normalization is taken care care off by FLUKA, by sampling the emission gamma from the spectrum of all emissions and giving it the weight corresponding to the total emission. However, I suggest that you convince yourself, e.g. by scoring the dose from a point source and compare it with what you expect. This way you can also be sure that everything is set up correctly for your actual problem.

Cheers
Stefan

2 Likes

The error message is clear: you are trying to plot in log scale something that is zero. Why this happens is another story. I run your input and I hadn’t any problem either running or plotting.

Also, I would recommend you not to ask multiple questions on the same thread: it makes complicated for whoever is willing to help you, to understand what has been answered and hasn’t. Please, limit each thread to a single question.

1 Like

Thank you amario
Sorry, will do as per what you have said, will limit to one question in one thread.

Regards
Sunil cn