Energy deposition of a 300 keV electron beam in a 1 cm thick tungsten target

Dear FLUKA experts,

I met a problem in using EMFCUT in USRBIN. I want to get the energy deposition curve of electrons from 300 keV electrons on a 1cm tungsten target.

1.I set up a cylindrical tungsten target plate with the radius of 0.4cm and the thickness of 1cm, and then bombarded the tungsten plate with an electron beam with an energy of 300 keV.

2.I used transport and PROD-CUT from the EMFCUT card. The conditions are set as follows:
ka5

1. But the energy deposition curve I get is weird, and this curve is not a smooth parabola.

xia

I wonder if there is a problem with the conditions of the EMFCUT card I have set.

Dear Ma Yiyi,

Thank you for your question and welcome to the FLUKA User Forum!

I wonder if there is a problem with the conditions of the EMFCUT card I have set.

No. It seems that you have a mere scoring resolution problem in your simulation: you set a USRBIN covering an excessive range of depths - up to 1 cm, while the range of 300 keV electrons in Tungsten is approximately 80 µm.

You may reduce the z range of the USRBIN to extend up to a maximum depth of, say, 0.02 cm.

If you then take 100 bins along z, you will be able to resolve the energy deposition curve with a resolution of 2 µm, corresponding to the CSDA range of ~30 keV electrons in Tungsten according to https://physics.nist.gov/PhysRefData/Star/Text/ESTAR.html. As a result, for the USRBIN settings mentioned before, you can even increase the production/transport thresholds up to ~30 keV and you should not see appreciable differences in your energy deposition spectrum.

Doing this you will obtain an energy deposition spectrum similar to the one shown below:

I hope this response clarifies your question.

Cheers,

Alexandra

2 Likes

Dear Alexandra,
@alserban I’m very excited to hear from you! And I have solved the problem! But I still have two questions to ask for you.
※ The first question, I wonder know the meaning of the threshold of transport and PRO-CUT represent in EMF cards. Is it the threshold representing the first ionization energy?

1. I used FLUKA’s default, 10eV energy threshold and 8 eV energy threshold for calculations

8EV

2. I found some differences.

So how do I set these thresholds according to my needs, or use FLUKA’s own default thresholds?
※The second question, what is the physical meaning of the calculated energy deposition? Is it the energy deposition of a single electron at a certain point?
Besides, could you please send the inp file you have run to me?
Best regards!
Ma Yiyi.

Dear Ma Yiyi,

I wonder know the meaning of the threshold of transport and PRO-CUT represent in EMF cards.

Charged particles moving in a medium undergo plenty of collisions with target electrons. If sufficient energy is transferred to the target electron, it is explicitly produced as a secondary and may be considered for transport (these electrons are then called delta rays). The delta-ray production threshold (what you prescribe in the EMFCUT card with SDUM = PROD-CUT) is the energy above which electrons are explicitly produced during such collisions.

Instead, the transport threshold (which you set with the EMFCUT card and blank SDUM) is setting the lowest (total or kinetic) energy down to which electrons/positrons or photons are tracked in the geometry. Below that cutoff their energy is deposited on the spot.

Is it the threshold representing the first ionization energy?

No.

So how do I set these thresholds according to my needs, or use FLUKA’s own default thresholds?

You need to set production and transport thresholds such that you track electrons down to an energy for which their range is comparable to the spatial resolution of your USRBINs and/or your geometry.

For instance, in the input that I used for the previous reply, the spatial resolution along z was 2 µm. This corresponds to the range of ~30 keV (see again https://physics.nist.gov/PhysRefData/Star/Text/ESTAR.html). So you may safely set production/transport cuts of say 10-30 keV. Putting even lower cuts shouldn’t affect much the resulting energy-deposition spectrum (you would waste time sampling electron trajectories and resolving details in a scale much shorter than the 2 µm bin width).

Note that FLUKA provides default values. For instance, if you use a DEFAULTS card with PRECISIOn you’ll get cuts of 100 keV for electrons/positrons and 33 keV for photons. These values are not necessarily suitable for all scenarios. The recipe to set them is basically to follow the reasoning above for whichever situation (scoring resolution and geometry size) you find yourself in.

For more details you can consult the following material: https://indico.cern.ch/event/1012211/contributions/4247798/attachments/2258115/3832065/09_EM_ionisation_transport_2021_online.pdf.

I used FLUKA’s default, 10eV energy threshold and 8 eV energy threshold for calculations.

I understand there was a typo in the units, you meant keV instead of eV.

I found some differences.

Of course. The default cuts of 100 keV are too coarse for your chosen scoring resolution. 100 keV electrons (look up their range in the NIST ESTAR database link above) can physically travel further than 10 µm - which is the depth along z up to which your USRBIN is extending. However, with 100 keV cuts you are depositing their energy on the spot. This is why your curve labeled “DEFULT” lies somewhat above the other two curves.

Instead, the difference between the 8 keV and 10 keV cuts curves is basically nonexistent since the range corresponding to either of these energies is shorter than (or of the order of) the spatial resolution.

what is the physical meaning of the calculated energy deposition?

What you are scoring is the result of two mechanisms:

• Transported electrons take finite step sizes. Along these steps, they lose energy in a continuous manner as per a (restricted) stopping power (dE/dx) resulting from many collisions with target electrons with a transfer of energy below the production threshold. No delta ray is generated here. The aggregate energy loss is scored into the corresponding bin as electron trajectories are sampled.

• Electrons dropping below transport threshold deposit their energy locally, and thus also contribute to your scoring.

Of course you also have delta rays being produced and tracked as a result of collisions with target electrons with energy transfer above production threshold. These are tracked (depositing energy continuously as per the first point above) and when their energy drops below transport threshold they deposit energy locally, hence also contributing as per the second point above.

When you are scoring ENERGY with a USRBIN card, what you obtain is actually a quantity with units of GeV/cm^3/primary. So, there is a normalization by the bin volume, leading in fact to an energy deposition density. For a more complete picture you can have a look here: https://indico.cern.ch/event/1012211/contributions/4247796/attachments/2257010/3829959/08_Scoring_I_2021_online.pdf and here: 7.22.87. USRBIN — FLUKA Manual.

Is it the energy deposition of a single electron at a certain point?

No.

Besides, could you please send the inp file you have run to me?

Yes, here it is:

electron_beam_on_W.inp (1.3 KB)

Cheers,

Alexandra

Dear Alexandra,
Thank you for all the help you have given me. I really appreciate the information and advice you have provided. It’s very nice of you!
There are still problems that bother me.
What is the width of the bin?Is it determined by the numbers of the bins?
Best regards!
Ma Yiyi.

Dear Ma Yiyi,

What is the width of the bin?Is it determined by the numbers of the bins?

Yes. The width of the bin along the z-axis is calculated as (z_max - z_min) / NZ_bins. The same applies to the other coordinates.

Cheers,

Alexandra

1 Like

Dear Alexandra,
Thank you very much!