Error in compiling Flair from source

Hi guys, new user of Fluka/Flair here. I am trying to compile at the HPC (linux platform) of my work computer. I have downloaded and extracted the geoviewer. Then I go inside the extracted folder and change the input line of the makefile ‘DESTDIR’ to the folder where I extracted the geoviewer. The reason I do it because, I do not have admin permission to create files at /usr/local/flair.

First I type make -j 8 and it creates all these files
and then I do: $ make install
then it gives: <flagtail:flair-geoviewer-3.2 >make install
make -C viewer
make[1]: Entering directory ‘/evtdata/radtrans/Raj/Flair/flair-geoviewer-3.2/viewer’
make[1]: Nothing to be done for ‘all’.
make[1]: Leaving directory ‘/evtdata/radtrans/Raj/Flair/flair-geoviewer-3.2/viewer’
make -C farm
make[1]: Entering directory ‘/evtdata/radtrans/Raj/Flair/flair-geoviewer-3.2/farm’
make[1]: Leaving directory ‘/evtdata/radtrans/Raj/Flair/flair-geoviewer-3.2/farm’
make -C geometry
make[1]: Entering directory ‘/evtdata/radtrans/Raj/Flair/flair-geoviewer-3.2/geometry’
make[1]: Leaving directory ‘/evtdata/radtrans/Raj/Flair/flair-geoviewer-3.2/geometry’
make -C data
make[1]: Entering directory ‘/evtdata/radtrans/Raj/Flair/flair-geoviewer-3.2/data’
make[1]: Leaving directory ‘/evtdata/radtrans/Raj/Flair/flair-geoviewer-3.2/data’
make -C graph
make[1]: Entering directory ‘/evtdata/radtrans/Raj/Flair/flair-geoviewer-3.2/graph’
make[1]: Leaving directory ‘/evtdata/radtrans/Raj/Flair/flair-geoviewer-3.2/graph’
make -C math
make[1]: Entering directory ‘/evtdata/radtrans/Raj/Flair/flair-geoviewer-3.2/math’
make[1]: Leaving directory ‘/evtdata/radtrans/Raj/Flair/flair-geoviewer-3.2/math’
make -C tool
make[1]: Entering directory ‘/evtdata/radtrans/Raj/Flair/flair-geoviewer-3.2/tool’
make[1]: Leaving directory ‘/evtdata/radtrans/Raj/Flair/flair-geoviewer-3.2/tool’
make -C xdraw
make[1]: Entering directory ‘/evtdata/radtrans/Raj/Flair/flair-geoviewer-3.2/xdraw’
make[1]: Leaving directory ‘/evtdata/radtrans/Raj/Flair/flair-geoviewer-3.2/xdraw’
mkdir -p /evtdata/radtrans/Raj/Flair/Install_Files
mkdir -p /evtdata/radtrans/Raj/Flair/Install_Files/fonts
install -m 644 geoviewer.so /evtdata/radtrans/Raj/Flair/Install_Files
install -m 755 usrbin2dvh /evtdata/radtrans/Raj/Flair/Install_Files
for f in AUTHORS BUGS README LICENSE; do
install -m 644 $f /evtdata/radtrans/Raj/Flair/Install_Files/$f.geoviewer;
done
for f in fonts/*.tga;do
install -m 644 $f /evtdata/radtrans/Raj/Flair/Install_Files/fonts; \

I see some files are generated in the destination folder, but not the executable. I have checked that the python installer that I had has tkinter.

I don’t fully understand what’s causing the error. I have only extracted the geoviewer source file. Should I also install the data file in the same directory?

Dear Rajarshi,

you need to install / extract the flair.tgz package to your DESTDIR as well.

Cheers,
David

That did not seem to solve that particular problem. I need to dig deep and see what else I am doing wrong. But meanwhile, I was able to use Flair using a virtual machine with the wsl as mentioned in the github directory. GitHub - horvathd/cern_fluka_wsl: FLUKA.CERN on Windows using WSL
So, the issue is partially solved and I can use Flair coupled with Fluka.

Dear Rajarshi,

The Geoviewer doesn’t create a separate executable, it is embedded into Flair. Did you put the files from the Flair package and the compiled files from the Geoviewer in the same directory? Do you get any error message when you try to run Flair?

Cheers,
David