Error in transport of ~ 1MeV neutrons - part2 of two step simulation

Dear all
I am trying to design a neutron shield around a neutron beamport in a nuclear reactor. The shielding consists of collimator (placed inside the beamport) and outer shielding. I have split the simulation in two parts. In the first part, I transport the neutrons from inside of the beamport to just outside. The neutrons exiting the beamport are recorded using the mgdraw.f. Then in the second step, I use the source_newgen.f to read the file recorded in the first step and transport the neutrons (as recorded by mgdraw.f in the first step) further. The usual standard two step procedure.
The problem I am facing is that I see lot of error in the err file. All the problem seem to be around ~ z=0. If I move the cylRKTR1 (the cylinder representing the reactor biological shield) backwards (towards neg z) by say 1 cm, all the errors are gone.
can some one please help out in pointing what is the problem?
The 1st step files are here-
neutron_shield_1stStep.inp (26.6 KB)
mgdraw.f (10.1 KB)
). The output of the 1st step is-
neutron_flux_collim_exit_280mm.zip (1.3 MB)
. The files for second step are-
neutron_shield_2ndStep.inp (27.1 KB)
source_newgen_neutron_collExit_coll_ID280mm.f (18.9 KB). THe error file is - neutron_shield_2ndStep001.err (1.5 MB)

sincerely
saurabh

Dear Saurabh,

the problem is that you are starting the particles on a boundary. To mitigate the issue, you nudge the them with an infinitesimal step along their direction when you load them into the FLUKA stack during the second step.

Two other comments:

1. You may want to activate the point-wise cross sections for low energy neutrons for a more accurate simulation.
  2. In your mgdraw routine, you are saving the energy of the primary particle, not the actual energy of the crossing one. I don’t know if this is something you want to do or not.

Cheers,
David

Dear David
Thanks for the reply! About your comments, I will include the LOW-NEUT card to activate the point-wise cross sections for low energy neutron. About saving the KE of the particle when it crosses the boundary, how to do that?
sincerely
saurabh

Dear Saurabh,

to activate the point-wise cross sections you need to use the LOW-PWXS card.

You can calculate the kinetic energy if the particle with ETRACK - AM(JTRACK) (Total energy minus the rest).

Just to keep in mind: If you are using the default group-wise cross sections for low energy neutrons, then their energy won’t be continuous, they will all have the discreet energies of the groups assigned to them.

Cheers,
David

Dear David
thanks a lot for the help!
sincerely
saurabh