Finding the right medium for running FLUKA

Dear all
There are many types of Linux distributions , such as UBUNTU, Fedora Linux, Linux Mint, Gentoo Linux, Linux distribution, Suse, OpenSUSE, Debian, Ubuntu, CentOS, Arch, Fedora, RHEL, Kali Linux and …
Is there a specific recommendation for using a specific Linux version or a specific Windows version to run the FLUKA and Flair programs in the best way and in the best performance and have a 100% compatibility?

Dear @mohammed.fayiz ,

FLUKA does not recommend a particular OS or Linux distribution for running. Binaries are distributed in the rpm and deb formats meaning you can readily install FLUKA in a plethora of Linux distributions. An installation on Windows is possible via the Windows Subsystem for Linux.

The exact OS you are running may have an impact on performance and the user experience but general comparisons are not possible.

1 Like

Thank you Benoit Lefebvre .
In previous articles Suggestion for flair help re-feature it is mentioned that some feature of flair can be compatible 100% with ubuntu 22.10 than other ubuntu versions. I suggest that, general comparisons recommended to be available . This will helps good start for beginner.
best regards
fayez

Dear @mohammed.fayiz ,

In the post you refer to, portability issues of the manual features are brought out. I must however point out that these issues are not necessarility related to the use of a specific distribution of LINUX altough this was hinted in the answer. Therefore, you should by no means regard the answer of @vasilis as being a formal endorsement of a particular distribution of Linux or OS. FLUKA developpers concurrently use different OS and they strive to improve the portability of the FLUKA and FLAIR software.

In most cases (i.e. unless you have a good reason to do otherwise), you should keep both your OS and FLUKA/FLAIR versions up to date to reduce the chances of portability issues.

1 Like

Dear Benoit Lefebvre .
Many thanks. (Yes I have a good reason to do otherwise). If we look for others software like Geant4 it is important to have similar information for FLUKA like the following
Best Regards
Fayez

Dear @mohammed.fayiz ,

FLUKA binaries are distributed in the deb and rpm format. Therefore, you can assume that Debian (Ubuntu, etc) and Red Hat (Fedora, CentOS, SuSE, etc) distributions of Linux, including derivative distributions, are officialy supported. In addition, a compilation of FLUKA from source should follow the gcc/fortran compiler specifications and prerequisites provided by the official FLUKA installation guide. Installations on the WSL are also officially supported. We also strongly encourage you to use an OS which has not reached its end of life, meaning it still receives updates from its developpers, and to always use the latest version of FLUKA.

Unlike Geant4, FLUKA is not officially tested on platforms. If you experience issues with an up-to-date OS which fullfils the above-mentionned specifications you are welcome to report it on this forum. On the other hand, if you use an outdated installation of Linux, or a distribution which does not falls in the Debian or Red Hat flavours, it could be more complicated to fix the issue on this forum, but we will still provide guidance to the best of our knowledge. Keep in mind that there is little incentive for FLUKA developpers to patch bugs which only occur on outdated versions of Linux and for obvious reasons.

1 Like

Dear @blefebvre

For my first start, I was using FLUKA a few years ago, I had several old UBUNTU versions that didn’t work as well. ِAnd the performance was not satisfactory.
Until I started my success journey after using Ubuntu version 18.04 of 64-bit and above, things started to improve. You are really right, I noticed that the more I upgrade Ubuntu, the more I find an improvement and stability in performance and an improvement in the use of all computer ability of its memory and its speed…
It is fantastic to say too, in the same every year, we can find and notice a tested development in UBUNTU new release especially in RAM Consumption. ubuntu 2023 ram usage - Google Suche

Which can help a lot in high level simulations.
Thank you for this valuable conversation, I benefited a lot from it…
My sincere thanks and regards.