FLAIR installation on macOS Catalina without Xcode

Hi,
currently the installation of FLAIR on macOS Catalina requires the full installation of Xcode, which is a huge package. Without Xcode some compilations fail due to missing header files. This is an issue in the gcc9 port installation. Actually, the header files are available with the Command Line Tools under /Library/Developer/CommandLineTools/SDKs/MacOSX.sdk. This path should be output from xcrun --show-sdk-path when only the Command Line Tools are installed but not Xcode.

I just wanted to share that I have managed to install FLAIR without Xcode being installed, saving some 16 GB of disk space. In case you someone is interested in …

In order to correctly compile, you need to add the following line to flair-geoviewer-3.0/rules.mk before installation.

e.g. line 223:

ifeq ($(SYSTEM),Darwin)
	CXXFLAGS += -isysroot /Library/Developer/CommandLineTools/SDKs/MacOSX.sdk
else
endif

however … you may need to run make and make install twice in order to work …

Cheers,

Markus

Hi @mrettig,
Thanks a lot!
I could test on my Mac and it works fine.
And I didn’t need to run make and make install twice! :grinning:
I think that we could go along this way.
Cheers luigi

In case this can be generally implemented (although it is quite specific to Catalina and macports situation) in the rules.mk file … it would be even more convenient :wink:

… still puzzled why my first make fails, and the second runs fine and sometimes I have to run make install twice. … must be a make thing.