Fonts in fedora

Dear Flair experts,
I’m a Fedora 32 user and I have problems with fonts in Flair. In the attached figure, on the right flair on fedora 32 and on the left flair in ubuntu 20.04 (on a VM).
Following the suggestions in Display of graphic characters I deleted the [Font] section in flair.ini but nothing changed. Then I manually changed all the font sizes in the config -> fonts menu, but this has no effect on the GUI. Flair is working correctly but it’s a bit difficult to use the interface with such small characters.
Maybe some system package is missing?
Thank you in advance.
Michele

Dear @michele,

please check if one on the following packages is installed on your system?

xorg-x11-fonts-100dpi
xorg-x11-fonts-ISO8859-1-100dpi

If not, could try to install them?

Cheers,
David

Hello David, thank you for the reply.
xorg-x11-fonts-ISO8859-1-100dpi package was already installed, but xorg-x11-fonts-100dpi was missing.
I also installed xorg-x11-fonts-75dpi and xorg-x11-fonts-ISO8859-1-75dpi and a symbol is actually appeared with respect to yesterday picture (see he attached figure). Some other package is missing but I can’t figure out which one.

t

The symbol on your red arrow is correct. Is the tab symbol from flair to allow you to resize the tabs inside the editor to make space if needed for the various fields.
Still you are missing the unicode fonts.
Flair is using the default true type unicode fonts, that normally are installed by default on any distribution.

Hi Michele,

could you check the package xorg-x11-fonts-Type1 as well?

Cheers,
David

Hi David,
I installed in the meantime two packages: xorg-x11-fonts-Type1 and xorg-x11-fonts-misc and there is some little improvement.
Screenshot from 2020-09-16 13-00-31

Dnf discovered these further packages:

[michele@sansone ~]$ sudo dnf search  xorg-x11-fonts
Last metadata expiration check: 0:52:39 ago on Wed 16 Sep 2020 10:34:59 AM CEST.
=================================================== Name Matched: xorg-x11-fonts ===================================================
xorg-x11-fonts-100dpi.noarch : A set of 100dpi resolution fonts for the X Window System
xorg-x11-fonts-75dpi.noarch : A set of 75dpi resolution fonts for the X Window System
xorg-x11-fonts-ISO8859-1-100dpi.noarch : A set of 100dpi ISO-8859-1 fonts for X
xorg-x11-fonts-ISO8859-1-75dpi.noarch : A set of 75dpi ISO-8859-1 fonts for X
xorg-x11-fonts-ISO8859-14-100dpi.noarch : ISO8859-14-100dpi fonts
xorg-x11-fonts-ISO8859-14-75dpi.noarch : ISO8859-14-75dpi fonts
xorg-x11-fonts-ISO8859-15-100dpi.noarch : ISO8859-15-100dpi fonts
xorg-x11-fonts-ISO8859-15-75dpi.noarch : ISO8859-15-75dpi fonts
xorg-x11-fonts-ISO8859-2-100dpi.noarch : A set of 100dpi Central European language fonts for X
xorg-x11-fonts-ISO8859-2-75dpi.noarch : A set of 75dpi Central European language fonts for X
xorg-x11-fonts-ISO8859-9-100dpi.noarch : ISO8859-9-100dpi fonts
xorg-x11-fonts-ISO8859-9-75dpi.noarch : ISO8859-9-75dpi fonts
xorg-x11-fonts-Type1.noarch : Type1 fonts provided by the X Window System
xorg-x11-fonts-cyrillic.noarch : Cyrillic fonts for X
xorg-x11-fonts-ethiopic.noarch : Ethiopic fonts
xorg-x11-fonts-misc.noarch : misc bitmap fonts for the X Window System

I ill try to load one by one and check the differences.
Michele

Hello Vasilis,

my fedora installation is quite standard and recent actually. These are the fonts on my system now:

[michele@sansone ~]$ ls /usr/share/fonts/
aajohan-comfortaa          gdouros-symbola           julietaula-montserrat  lohit-devanagari  paktype-naskh-basic  tex-gyre-math
adobe-source-code-pro      google-crosextra-caladea  khmeros                lohit-gujarati    paratype-pt-sans     thai-scalable
bitstream-vera-sans-fonts  google-crosextra-carlito  liberation-mono        lohit-kannada     sil-abyssinica       truetype
blender                    google-droid-sans-fonts   liberation-sans        lohit-odia        sil-mingzat          urw-base35
cantarell                  google-noto               liberation-serif       lohit-tamil       sil-nuosu
dejavu                     google-noto-cjk           lm                     lohit-telugu      sil-padauk
dejavu-sans-fonts          google-noto-emoji         lm-math                mnsymbol          smc-meera
dejavu-sans-mono-fonts     google-noto-vf            lohit-assamese         open-sans         stix-fonts
dejavu-serif-fonts         jomolhari                 lohit-bengali          opensymbol        tex-gyre
(base) [michele@sansone ~]$ ls /usr/share/fonts/truetype/
PowerlineSymbols.otf

Nothing in $HOME/.Fonts (.Fonts is missing). I will keep to install xorg-x11-fonts.
Michele

flair is based on Tk, which is asking the system for a font given the family. As I saw in my system it is using the dejavu fonts which you have installed.
Did you manually select some font in the flair configuration?
Could you try to start flair with a clean ini file like
flair --ini test.ini
and check.
Another wild guess could be to set the locale before
LC_ALL=en_US.UTF-8 flair

Not at the first attempt. I initially followed instructions in Display of graphic characters with no result. Then I increased the size of characters in flair’s font configuration, with no results again, so I removed [Font] section in my flair.ini, and it is still missing now.

In both cases I have no results with respect previuos Instructions. I manually installed all xorg-x11-fonts with no changes.
I see in my ubuntu 20.04 VM that /usr/share/truetype has a lot of fonts in it, while fedora has just one. Could be of any importance?

I followed this guide: https://www.fosslinux.com/42406/how-to-install-microsoft-truetype-fonts-on-fedora.htm and it seems to work. All symbols are diplayed correctly now and any change in font config dialogue has the desired effect. Not sure this is the correct method…

Could actually be a permissions problem. Launching flair with sudo gives me the full working GUI, with correct fonts and symbols.