Geometry tab-error

Continuing the discussion from Geoviewer tab-Segmentation fault:

Dear all,

I also have the same error of Sujoy when I click on the geometry tab. Before doing what Vasilis suggested here I checked my python version and I have the 2.6.6. Is this my problem? I actually thought to have already enabled python 3.6 and each time I run flair I get the message Enabling SCL python 3.6, but if I type python --version I have the 2.6.6.
If my problem is just to enable python 3.6, what should I type to do it?

Thank you,
Francesca

Dear @fferrull,

What type of machine are you using? How did you install flair and the geoviewer?

Dear @amario,

I use FLUKA from the cluster. I have a windows machine and I installed a virtual machine following the Cern suggestions (with X-win32) and I have Scientific Linux 6.

Thank you,
Francesca

Hi Francesca,

Your problem is not related to enabling python 3.6. You are running in a customized environment where this is done automatically for you by overriding temporarily the system installation of python 2.6 with python 3.6

Cheers
Chris

Dear Chris,

thank you for your reply. So what is my problem? Now flair immediately closes as soon as I open a file (even without clicking on the Geometry tab), while it runs if I just open flair3.

Thank you,

Francesca

Hi Francesca,

if you run FLAIR from the centralized (customized!) installation on CERN’s RP cluster, you need to run it via the command “flair3”. Just running “flair” will not work on the cluster but it might work in your private installation (e.g. virtual machine or local machine) which is administrated by yourself.

For the centralized installation I have deployed a patch which hopefully fixes the issue. If you want to apply it on your private installation then you need to follow the instructions that I have provided here: Geoviewer tab-Segmentation fault

Without going into too many technical details: the 3D renderer tries to do several things in parallel to be faster and for this it needs to spawn multiple threads. Some CPUs (specific virtual machine configurations or older CPUs) might not be able to provide multiple threads and this rather exotic situation was previously not yet caught by the renderer when doing specific tasks to improve the image quality.

Cheers
Chris

Dear Chris,

I tried this morning and everything works fine.

Thanks a lot,
Francesca