Grid Geometry in FLUKA

Hi,

I want to simulate a Stainless Steel grid as a part of a particular geometry.
For that, how to replicate such large numbers of square shaped grid units in FLUKA?
Is LATTICE an option/only option here?

Kind Regards
Charubala

LATTICE is an option.
Another option would be to create the grid in real geometry. Depending on the details of the grid, it could be convenient.

Thank you @amario!

However, since the grid is only a small part of a big geometry and it has square units as large as 1500 numbers, each of which is 1mm in dimension, won’t LATTICE or real geometry using so many planes complicate the geometry?

Not knowing the details of your geometry, it’s difficult to give any specific recommendations.

The only general consideration that I can offer is that if the element that is replicated, can be described with a series of planes parallel to two of the x-y-z axes, then using lattice might be a bit of an overshooting. Instead, if the element that is replicated has a “complicated” shape, then maybe lattice might be faster to implement.

Hi,

The geometry is: I have a cylinder containing several thickness of layers of materials. The top and bottom layers are the stainless steel grids. The grid wire has a diameter of 0.5 mm and each element in grid is square in shape with 1.5 mm dimension. Considering the diameter of the grid, the entire grid consists of approx. 1500 numbers of square units.

All the other layers of materials were easy to incorporate in FLUKA, as they were all solid, homogenous, layers. But the stainless steel grid, which is a supporting structure, is where I was wondering if inserting so many lattices/planes in geometry were actually the right thing to do.

Regards
Charubala

Since you have different materials and the geometry, as I understood it, is relatively simple, I would build the model in real geometry (i.e. adding ~1500 planes) rather than using lattices (which would still require ~1500 LATTICE cards).
Anyway, please, take my considerations with a grain of salt and a critical mindset, as I only have a vague idea of your study case while it’s you that know it the best.

For such cases you can exploit the lattic.f routine. You need to model only one element of the grid, the big container of the grid and write some fortran code to define the periodicity

Hi,

Thank you @amario and @vasilis!

I will try your suggestions in my study.
Thanks for helping!

Regards
Charubala