How to use another nuclear data library for non-existing cross-section data?

Dear Experts,

I’m trying to run a simulation regarding a photonuclear reaction on Ti-46, which is not a natural isotope of titanium so it is not covered by the default cross-section dataset as given in the manual:

The Error:

The reaction I’m specifically trying to recreate is (g, 2n), which only has a xsec data on TENDL libraries. Is there a way to implement the TENDL dataset to FLUKA for running the simulation with the intended isotope? Should I use a LOW-PWXS card and specify the data library directory, and if so how can I do that?

bremms1.inp (3.0 KB)

Thank you,

Ozgur

Dear @ozgur.hanci,

The error appears because you changed the name of the material and it can not be found automatically in the database.
I suggest the following changes in your input:

Then, you can see in the output file in the neutron section:

You can also change the database for the neutron xs by choosing between JEFF (default), ENDF, JENDL, CENDL, and BROND.

Hope this answers your question.

Cheers,
Mihaela

1 Like

Dear @Mihaela_Parvu,

Your solution would fix the problem with neutron cross sections while I understood that @ozgur.hanci is instead interested in photonuclear cross sections.
The code should now run with your fix, but won’t affect the photonuclear cross sections.

1 Like

Dear @amario,

I am aware that this will not change the xs for the gamma-induced reaction.
The post was intended to solve the error pointed out by Ozgur.

Dear @Mihaela_Parvu ,

Thank you for your help, I understood the importance of defining the material with a pre-existing name. I’ve updated the file accordingly and it runs, thanks a lot. I think, I was able to get a (g, n) reaction due to Ti-45 presence.

Even so, as @amario has mentioned, my purpose is to simulate the photonuclear reactions that only has xs data on TENDL and use it. Which, I can’t see a way through, yet at least. I would appreciate every other help and reply.

Thanks,

Ozgur

1 Like

Dear Ozgur,

FLUKA does not use ENDF or other databases for gamma-induced reactions. What you have seen here is related to the groupwise treatment of the low-energy neutrons.

I also suggest looking especially at slides 21-24 of this presentation.

In order to check if you have (g,2n) reactions, you can use mgdraw.f.

2 Likes