Importing the content of a tab.lis file

Dear Experts,

I would like to import some content from a tab.lis file. The file is the output of a USRDBX set to score the current (I1,LinE,LinOmega) due to a 3 MeV electron beam with three detectors of: BEAMPART (1000 Ebins), ELECTRON (1000 Ebins) and PHOTON (3000 Ebins). The beam interacts with a few materials before detection. My aim is to import the file and use the thee energy spectra inside a Mathematica program. However, how the tab.lis file is formatted is not fully clear to me. For instance, in the first 4-columns section (BEAMPART, detector 1), the number of lines is 1092, instead of 1000, indeed it is commented as “N. of energy intervals 1092” – I don’t understand what this additional 92 (zero-valued) lines are. On the other hand, further below in the file, the next 4-columns section, due to ELECTRON (detector 2, line #3292), consists of 1000 lines, i.e. there are no additional 92 lines.I upload the tab.lis file in case you want to inspect it. I am not able to guess a fixed rule for importing. I have searched in the manual and in the forum, but cannot find information about it. Where can I find an explanation of the tab.lis format?

Thank you in advance for your help.
Enrico

elettroni linac TECHEA_25_tab.lis (891.3 KB)

Dear @Enrico,
I believe that the following Fluka presentation will give you a clue, how to treat _tab.lis files.

In general, structure of the _tab.lis file is split into 2 sections for the each detector.
The first is simpler, the you have values integral over the angle:
Column 1 - beginning of the interval
Column 2 - end of the interval
Column 3 - scored value
Column 4 - standard deviation of the scored value.

The second section is a way to represent actually two dimensional array. It is similar to the first, but you have block that represent the range of angles. You have two more columns and header line above, to indicate the angle range.

Kind regards,
Illia

Dear Illia,

thank you very much for your kind reply and for the linked PDF, very useful indeed. However, my concerns about those additional 92 lines are still there, because I did not use a logarithmic scale. I upload the Flair project so you can see my settings just in case you’d like to.

Kind regards,
Enrico

elettroni linac TECHEA.flair (14.6 KB)
elettroni linac TECHEA.inp (5.6 KB)

Dear Enrico,

the additional 92 lines reflect the low energy neutron group structure above the lower energy limit you input and can be safely disregarded. In fact, when you select BEAMPART instead of ELECTRON, FLUKA prudently admits the possibility that your beam may be made of neutrons and so, having the group-wise treatment on by default, it considers in parallel also their fixed energy binning.

2 Likes

Dear Francesco,

that’s good to know, thank you. With the aim of dealing with a fixed format (to import the file), is there a setting to avoid those lines to be written in the file?

Dear Francesco,
I also thank you for the reply. I figured out that the added range is related to the BEAMPART scoring, but did not know that it is reserved for the low energy neutron group. It is good to know it.

Illia

1 Like

Depending on your motivation, and waiting for ours :wink: , you could consider to adjust the usxsuw post-processing tool (that is responsible for the generation of the _tab.lis file), modifying its Fortran source in src/tools, and then recompiling it by executing the make command in the upstream directory. In fact, it should be enough to comment out lines 861-862, 1078-1081, and 1106 in usxsuw.f.
@illia.zymak may be able to kindly confirm that this way it works as intended.

1 Like

I am not at all into compiling, indeed a couple of weeks ago @amario very kindly guided me hand by hand through another compilation. I guess it’s better if I just skip the 92 lines for now. :grin: Thank you for replying and suggesting the solution!

Ciao,
Enrico

Dear Enrico,

enabling the point-wise neutron cross sections should remove the separate scoring for the low-energy neutrons.

Cheers,
David

3 Likes

Yes, I can confirm. Actually 1106 - 1110 should be also commented? Right?
But then, I have to correct 855 to wright correct number of intervals in the header “N. of energy intervals”

Illia

Right (1106-1109, or possibly the whole DO loop).
Well done for 854.
Nevertheless, @horvathd suggestion is cleanly preferable.

1 Like

Dear Dávid,

thank you for your suggestion! Is it doable through this card?

Cheers,
Enrico

Dear Enrico,

you need to use the LOW-PWXS card (7.22.43. LOW-PWXS — FLUKA Manual), leaving the options empty.

Also, if you haven’t done so, you need to install the default cross-section data library (FLUKA libraries for low-energy neutron pointwise interaction cross sections | The official CERN FLUKA website).

Cheers,
David

1 Like

Dear Dávid, again thank you!

Cheers,
Enrico