Is it possible to create ions in FLUKA?

Dear experts,

I want to determine the required shape and size of magnets with certain magnetic field and the installation distance from target to deflect electrons and ions of certain energies. Is it possible to create different ions in FLUKA ?

Thank you

Dear @talktoshubhama,

yes of course it is possible. You have to select HEAVYION in the BEAM card (and in that case the kinetic energy or momentum will be interpreted as per nuclear mass unit). Then you have to add the HI-PROPErt card which allows to set the Z and A of your desired ion. You should also add the PHYSICS cards activating the treatment of coalescence and evaporation of heavy fragments (See the manual).

Remember that if heavy ions are your primary particles you should link the RQMD and DPMJET event generators (linking with ldpmqmd and not lfluka) or, in Flair, run with flukadpm.

Best,
Davide

2 Likes

Dear @dbozzato ,

Thank you very much for the response. I have added the necessary cards as you suggested. I run the program with flukadpm. But I am not able to plot the deflection as fluka is not showing the 2d graph and the .bnn.lis consists only zero values.
I am attaching the flair and inp file.

MF1.flair (2.3 KB)
MF1.inp (1.7 KB)

Dear @talktoshubhama,
if you want to activate the magnetic field in regions Mag1 and Mag2 you have to select “Magnetic” in their ASSIGNMA card.

To avoid any misunderstanding, be aware that your beam is not passing through the regions where the field would be present, i.e. Mag1 and Mag2.
When using MGNFIELD and MGNCREAT, you don’t have to define the regions where the dipole coils would be and expect the field to be in between them. Rather define one single region where you know you will have the magnetic field and activate it there.

Please let me know if you have any question.

Best,
Davide

Dear @dbozzato ,

I have applied the suggested improvements (made one single region Mag1 from where the beam will pass and assigned the magnetic field to the ASSIGMA card). Still, I am not getting anything in the 2d plot, except I see some changes in the 1d plot. Maybe I am missing something.
Attaching the updated files

MF1_1.flair (1.8 KB)
MF1_1.inp (1.5 KB)

Thank you.

Dear @talktoshubhama ,
There is no problem with your input file.
I can clearly see the deflection of the ions in the ZX plane: with your settings the magnetic field is directed as the y-axis. For clarity I have increased the range and the number of bins.

Best,
Davide

Dear @dbozzato ,

I have increased the size of geometry and USRBIN also with bin size. Still, I am getting empty graph like this
Screenshot 2022-09-06 092537

Even if same USRBIN size as your graphs. Actually, I am new to FLUKA. May be, I am doing some mistake in plotting because graph dimensions are not the same size as USRBIN

Thank you.

Dear @talktoshubhama ,
could you share your new flair project and one FLUKA output file (*.out) so that I can cross-check.
Best,
Davide

Dear @dbozzato ,

Please, find the attached files.

MF1_3.flair (2.1 KB)
MF1_3.inp (1.5 KB)
MF1_3.out (2.2 KB)

Thank you.

Dear @talktoshubhama,
many thanks, I will have a look. Apologies for the misunderstanding but by output file I meant the one that should be called MF1_3001.out (you have one *out file for each cycle): could you share that one?
Best,
Davide

Dear @dbozzato ,

Please, find the attached files. These files are from a new run.

MF1_3001.out (71.9 KB)
MF1_3002.out (71.9 KB)
MF1_3003.out (71.9 KB)
MF1_3004.out (71.9 KB)
MF1_3005.out (71.9 KB)
MF1_3.flair (2.0 KB)
MF1_3.out (2.4 KB)
MF1_3.inp (1.5 KB)

Thank you
Shubham

1 Like

Dear @talktoshubhama,
all seems fine from your files. Here is what you can try (attached the flair project) for the plotting:

• go back to your original 2 T field (or even less, like 0.5 T in the attached example) to better appreciate the deflection;
  • in the Plot tab select Use: -No- for the geometry and Axes: Auto;
  • restrict the Y coordinate range in the plot (the ions are deflected only in the XZ plane in your case)

Let me know if this helps.
Best,
Davide

MF1_3.flair (2.2 KB)

Dear @dbozzato ,

Thank you very much. After applying these suggestions, I could see the output.
Thank you again for your time and detailed discussion.

Regards
Shubham

1 Like