Neutron Flux on Reactor

Dear expert,

I want to calculate the neutron fluence inside the reactor from all neutrons and from primary neutrons. Also fluence from neutrons that escape the reactor from the side as well as neutrons that escape from above.

a)My reactor is cylindrical so i thought that i can use a USRBIN card RΦZ that scores neutron fluence inside the reactor and 2 USRBIN cards that score on the other 2 regions. Do I need to use USRBDX or USRTRACK cards for this scoring? I will calculate the same thing…

b)In the USRBDX and USRTRACK cards we have to specify area of region and volume. How can I calculate them? Manually?

c)How can I distinguish which neutron came from source and which one is secondary? Can i do this with the mgdraw.f routine? Is there another way?

Dear expert,

I want to create a custom mgdraw.f which will print the energy of the particles inside a reactor and counts the particles that leaves the reactor from left and right and from above.

a)How can I give the information of my regions to mgdraw??
b)How can I make it print the energy inside the reactor??

Best regards

Hi @vtsianti , sorry for the delay, I’m preparing an answer.

Hi @vtsianti,

a) It depends on what you actually want.
USRBDX scores average double-differential fluence or current of a given type or family of particles through a given surface, while USRTRACK scores average differential fluence of a given type or family of particles in a given region.
Said a bit differently, USRTRACK will give you a mean value in your volume (integrated on the surface).

If I understand well, you want the fluence of the escaping neutrons, then it should be interesting to use USRBDX.

Ressources:

b) Yes they have to be calculated manually, I invite to check the ressources given above for more details.

c) if you have a neutron source, you can select ‘BEAMPART’ to track only the primaries and ‘neutrons’ to track them all and then make a difference to get the secondaries.

To answer your latest post, I think I replied now, but said again differently:

• USRTRACK for volumes
  • USRBDX for surfaces

Please note that FLUKA is not suitable if you want to perform criticality calculations if this is what you try to do.

Cheers,
Samuel

Hi Samuel,

Thank you very much for your help on clarifying my questions.

But how about mgdraw.f?

Dear expert,

I want to create a custom mgdraw.f which will print the energy of the particles inside a reactor and counts the particles that leaves the reactor from left and right and from above.

Best regards

Dear Vasilis,
For each entries of the mgdraw routine, in the comments (or in the manual) you have the name of the different arguments.
In your case, let’s consider that you want to print reaction the final state, you can use USDRAW entry. Referring to the manual, you see that there is a MREG argument.
Then if you want to print something for a specific region (region number 2 for instance) you can do

IF(MREG.EQ.2) THEN
* we write id of the prim, the total energy, the part code of prim, the number of secondaries
                  WRITE (72,*) NCASE, ETRACK, JTRACK, NP 
* for each secondary
                  DO I=1,NP
* we write the part code and the kinetic energy
                        WRITE(72,*) KPART(I), TKI(I)
                  END DO
END IF

If you don’t know the number of your region, you can obtain it from the name using

CALL GEOR2N (MREG, NAMREG, IERR)

Hoping this will answer your question, I invite you to have a look to the following ressources: