Versions
Please provide the used software versions.
FLUKA4-5.0
Flair:3.4-1
Description
Dear FLUKA users and experts,
I am currently simulating a 40 keV, 30 mA electron beam incident on a beam dump. I would like to install a lead enclosure around the beam dump and determine the required lead thickness so that personnel can safely remain at a distance of 2 m during long-term operation.
The absorber inside the beam dump is made of copper, while the outer casing and beam pipe are made of SS304 stainless steel. As a first step, I would like to simulate the unshielded baseline case. Therefore, I have temporarily assigned AIR to the region that will later contain the lead shielding.
However, in the current results, there appear to be almost no scored particles or dose outside the stainless-steel casing or in the surrounding air. The relative statistical uncertainties are also very large.
I would therefore appreciate your advice on the following questions:
Do the material definitions or physics settings in my input file need to be corrected?
Are the current electromagnetic transport settings appropriate for 40 keV electrons and the bremsstrahlung photons they produce? In particular, which transport and production thresholds should be used to obtain a reliable unshielded baseline result?
When scoring DOSE-EQ with a USRBIN detector, how should the results be normalized correctly for a continuous 40 keV, 30 mA electron beam? I would like to obtain the dose-equivalent rate in units such as μSv/h.
Which additional scoring cards or detectors should be added to evaluate the dose rate at 2 m from the beam dump and determine whether it meets the criterion for long-term personnel occupancy? Would USRBIN together with point, surface, or boundary-crossing scorings be recommended?
I have attached my FLUKA input file for reference. Any suggestions regarding the geometry, material assignments, low-energy electromagnetic transport settings, variance reduction, scoring configuration, and normalization would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you very much in advance for your help.
Input files
Please upload all relevant files. (FLUKA input file, Flair project file, user routines, and data files)
EleBeamDump.inp (6.9 KB)




