Replication geometry with LATTICE card

Dear Fluka experts,
ex1.inp (2.8 KB)

I want to repeat geometry with the LATTICE card.
It turned out the geometry could be replicated but all region materials of replicated geometry can’t correspond to materials of the prototype. (as shown in figure 2). And there was no error in flair.

And another problem is that I want to replicate the prototype 100 times to get geometry in Fig.1.

I have only replicated it once now, how to replicate 100 times, do I need to write 100 times LATTICE?

Please find attached the input file and figures.

Best regards,

Thank you in advance.

Qi Ding

Dear Qi Ding,

in your input you duplicated all the bodies/regions of your target, but for the lattice only the most outside body has to be specified, FLUKA will fill it with the prototype.

Please have a look at your updated input: ex1a.flair (3.1 KB)

For this you will need separate LATTICE and ROT-DEFI cards for each replica.

To do 100 replicas, you can specify, let’s say 10 target manually, and duplicate this stack 10 times. Or you could write a script to produce the FLUKA input cards automatically.

One more thing to keep in mind. It is always good avoid touching surfaces. In case of lattices, the best way is to keep a small gap between each replica.

Cheers,
David

2 Likes

Dear Mr.David,

Thank you so much for your detailed response, which is very enlightening for me.

I tried two kind of ways according to your advice and modified my input file based on your two updated input respectively( ex1a.inp (2.8 KB) attached ex1a.inp and ex1b.inpex1b.inp (2.9 KB) ), it turned out only the most outside frame was replicated in both ways(as shown in fig.1 and fig.2), basic unit of the prototype geometry didn’t be filled in the replicated geometries. And materials of replicated geometry still can’t correspond to materials of the prototype.

Could you please tell me what the reason is for this?

Thank you.

Best regards,

Qi Ding

Dear Qi Ding,

please disregard ex1b, as it may look correct in Flair, but it won’t work in FLUKA. It was my mistake, not testing it first. Sorry about that.

To be able to see, the lattices in Flair, you need to select the Lattice layer on the Geometry tab, as shown below.

Cheers,
David

P.S.: It seems, that you are using a version of Flair not supported on this forum. Please download the latest version from http://flair.web.cern.ch/flair/ and the matching FLUKA release from https://fluka.cern/

Dear Mr.David,

Thanks a lot for your timely and nice reply.
According to the ex1a, if I want to do 100 replicas in fig.1, I will need separate LATTICE and ROT-DEFI cards for each replica.
If I want to do 100 replicas in geometry of fig.2, do it need separate LATTICE and ROT-DEFI cards for each replica?

Thank you.

Best regards,
Qi Ding

Dear Qi Ding,

each replica requires it’s own ROT-DEFI and LATTICE card. But if doesn’t matter what is inside of the prototype volume.

On figure 2, it is not clear to me what is the prototype. The whole box, or only one pipe.

Cheers,
David

Dear Mr.David,

Thanks for your timely response.
The prototype is one pipe in fig.2.
each replica requires it’s own ROT-DEFI and LATTICE card,
That’s to say if I want to replicate 100 pipes, 100 ROT-DEFI and LATTICE cards will be needed, is it right?
Thank you so much.

Best regards,

Qi Ding

Dear Qi Ding,

yes, that is correct.

But, if you prepare your prototype as group of 10 pipes (the outer box in fig 2.), then you only need to replicate the group 9 times.

Cheers,
David

Dear Mr.David,

Thanks for your patiently response, which is really helpful for me.

Best regards,

Qi Ding