About TSP function for faster results gain

Dear colleagues
in previous topic

I was deeply thankful to Roman Martin Profile - rmartin - FLUKA User Forum how introduce me to know about TSP function which is very helpful function to speed your calculations and to get a fast results

Now I used through the terminal the command tsp -S 4 which is suitable for my PC.
at FLAIR and through the running process I adjust it to tsp as in figure

now I would like to know is it good what I made? because for the tsp there is a variety of choice
kindly what is tsp04, … or tspN refer to?

I face I couldn’t know it is activated well and how I recognise that Flair use and active this function or there is other thing I have to adjust for this function?
Best Regards
Fayez

Dear Mohamed,

Thanks for your question,
I am currently at the FLUKA course but will answer it when I am back next week, so that I can have a proper look :slight_smile:

Kind regards,
Gabrielle

1 Like

Dear Gabrielle Hugo
I thank you for your kind interest in my problem, waiting and wishing you a successful course, God willing
Mohamed Fayez

Dear Mohamed,

TSP function which is very helpful function to speedup your calculations

Note that strictly speaking, the “spawn” feature is what allows you to speedup your calculation: you create jobs (“spawns”), which can possibly run in parallel.
The task spooler (“tsp”) instead, is simply in charge of the distribution of those jobs among the cores available on your machine.
If you stay on “default” (no “tsp”), jobs will still run in parallel on a multi-core machine (leading to speedup). However, you will have no control on how the jobs are distributed.

Now, how does tsp distribute jobs on your machine? It simply relies on a maximum number of jobs N which can run simultaneously. It creates N queues, among which the jobs are dispatched.
Of course, N <= cores in your machine.

I used through the terminal the command tsp -S 4. Then in FLAIR I select “tsp”

With tsp -S 16 in the command line, you set the maximum number of jobs which can run simultaneously to 16.
When you select “tsp” with Flair, this upper limit will be used (here, 16).

what does tsp04, … or tspN refer to?

Alternatively, you can set that maximum number of jobs which can run simultaneously directly inside of Flair.
“tsp04” sets an upper limit of 4 simultaneous jobs.
“tsp08” sets an upper limit of 8 simultaneous jobs.
“tspN” sets the number of cores available in your machine as an upper limit.

how I recognise that Flair uses this function

In a terminal, “tsp -l” should display the list of jobs, along with their status (queued / running / finished).

Hope this helps,
Cheers,
Gabrielle

1 Like

Dear Gabrielle Hugo
Many thanks for this comprehensive answer, which will help me tremendously. I truly appreciate the time you dedicated to assisting me.
Best regards.
Fayez