Simulation not running and VBODY warning/error

Dear FLUKA experts,

I’m not able to run my simulation for the moment, and also not able to find what could be causing the problem. The geometry seems to be fine.

I’m attaching the generated .out and .log files, together with the input file for you to evaluate.

According to the .out file, the execution stops when reaching the control card GEOBEGIN, and therefore I cannot use the DEBUG option of the GEOEND card.

I’m also getting the VBODY error/warning mentioned in Warning/Error message meaning about Vbody?

Could it be that these errors/warning are leading to fake errors in my geometry?

Thank you all in advance for you help.

202302-Amptek-XR-100CdTe.inp (21.1 KB)
202302-Amptek-XR-100CdTe001.log (712 Bytes)
202302-Amptek-XR-100CdTe001.out (5.0 KB)

Hi Federico,

the cause of the crash is that the dz parameters of the geometry translations are left empty. Setting it to 0.0 solves the problem.

The next issue is that FLUKA needs a low-energy cross section for Tellurium. This is not available in the default group-wise mode, so you need to activate the new point-wise treatment of neutrons below 20 MeV with an empty LOW-PWXS card.

Finally, I didn’t get any VBODY warning from Flair. Maybe you need to update to the latest Flair version if you are not using it already. If you still have them – as Vasilis replied in the linked topic – you can ignore them.

Cheers,
David

@horvathd Thank you very much for your help David!

Indeed, setting dz=0 in the translations solved the problem.

Regarding the cross sections, I’m not planning on simulating neutrons. Do I still need to activate the new point-wise treatment?

Kind regards,
Federico

Hi Federico,

FLUKA requires a low-energy neutron cross-section associated with every element, even if you are not simulating neutrons. Otherwise, FLUKA stops with an error message.
And since the Tellurium cross-sections are only available with the point-wise treatment, you will need to activate it.

Cheers,
David

@horvathd Thanks again for the advice. I added the LOW-PWXS card, but I’m still getting the error for tellurium, although the name of the material is the standard one. I tried using a LOW-MAT card but tellurium doesn’t appear as an option. Am I missing something in my FLUKA installation?

Hi Federico,

Most likely you need to install the point-wise cross sections as well if you didn’t use them before. See: FLUKA libraries for low-energy neutron pointwise interaction cross sections | The official CERN FLUKA website

Cheers,
David

Hi David,

After installing the point-wise cross sections everything worked perfectly. Thank you for your help =)

Kind regards,
Federico