Ytterbium and Thulium absence in LOW-MAT card

There is no yterbium and thulium in FLUKA pre-defined materials list. When I want to create it I shall use LOW-MAT card. But these two absence in LowMat list too. Is it in principle impossible to use these two materials in FLUKA ?

Dear Sergey,

please use the pointwise low energy neutron cross sections with an empty LOW-PWXS card.
With this, you won’t need to use the LOW-MAT cards for any material.

If you haven’t do already, you will need to install the JEFF-3.3 library from FLUKA libraries for low-energy neutron pointwise interaction cross sections | The official CERN FLUKA website

Cheers,
David

2 Likes

I’ve downloaded JEFF-3.2 package from link https://flukafiles.web.cern.ch/flukafiles/neutron/fluka_pw_jeff-3.2-1.0.tgz. Then I copy data directory from fluka_pw_jeff-3.2-1.0 unpacked folder to folder /usr/local/fluka/bin, where are installed fluka

Here is .inp file, that I want to launch. I still can’t do it.

photonuc.inp (1.2 KB)

Dear Sergey,

I would really recommend installing the default neutron library JEFF-3.3.

If you want to use the any other ones (like JEFFF-3.2) then you need to select it on the LOW-PWXS card.

Cheers,
David

I’v done as you said.

Still not working.

Dear Sergey,

inside the fluka_pw_jeff-3.3-1.1 directory should be a data/neutron directory. You need to copy the neutron directory inside the /usr/local/fluka/data.

Cheers,
David

1 Like

Still not works

Dear Sergey,

you need to fix the permissions.

Cheers,
David

Can you tell please how should I do it ?

Dear Sergey,

you can use the following command in the /usr/local/fluka/data/neutron directory:

sudo chmod -R 755 *

Cheers,
David

Is there necessity to reload PC after this ?

Dear Sergey,

no, it is not necessary.

Cheers,
David

Still nothing works.

Dear Sergey,

please elaborate, what is the current problem you are facing?

Cheers,
David

I’ve done anything you advise, but the Run still finished with the same error.

photonuc001.out (23.2 KB)

Dear Sergey,

please update to the latest version of FLUKA (4-3.4), and try again.

Cheers,
David

I’ve updated both FLUKA and Flair to their latest versions and perform your all recommended previous instructions related to fluka_pw_jeff-3.3-1.1 (including fixing of permissions). Still issues the same error.

Dear Sergey,

please share your latest output files, the input file, and the output of the following command:

more /usr/local/fluka/data/neutron/JEFF-3.3/Version.tag

Cheers,
David

photonuc001.out (23.2 KB)
photonuc.inp (1.2 KB)

Output of command is 1.1

Dear Sergey,

the output still shows FLUKA version 4-1.1. Make sure you update your PATH environment variable to only include the directory of the latest version of FLUKA.

Cheers,
David